You wondered aloud the other day what I would say about you when this brief season in our lives ends and we part ways.
It’s funny that I haven’t told you. But here, for the record, are a few of the things I appreciate the most about you:
1. You are reliable. You keep your commitments to me and to the other people in your life. I know that if you commit to something with me, that I can absolutely count on you, whether it’s a small thing, like arriving when you say you will, or something big, like setting aside a weekend to get away on the sailboat. You truly are a man of your word.
2. You are so open with me. I appreciate your honesty and your candor, and the fact that you are brave enough to let your guard down around me. I’m surprised by how intimate our conversations can be. It makes me happy that you’re comfortable enough with me to be yourself. To just be.
3. You really know how to seize the day. I love that you take every opportunity you can to spend time on your boat, or to do the other things in your life that you enjoy. You appreciate the little things, and you recognize and appreciate your own good fortune.
4. You are open to growth and change in your life. I admire that you strive to improve yourself, and that you are working to break the habits in your life that don’t serve you.
5. You inspire me in the way you live life “on purpose.” I like that you have such a clear vision of the person you want to be, and I admire that you pursue your passions, whether sailing, or hiking, or traveling, or seeing live music. That compass tattoo on your calf is the perfect symbol for you.
You’re a good man, Dan.
happy to spend time with you,